Sunday, November 21, 2010

Dark days of winter

I'm still stuck in my Film Noir buzz. I've been there for many years and when I analyse my reasons for writing crime I realise that it is based on a number of things...
  • Film Noir influence (those Edward G and Cagney movies)
  • A love of society's underbelly (we're all just two pay packets from the street)
  • A belief that bad leads to good, via a somewhat circuitous route (crime, punishment and redemption)
  • A love of make or break situations for characters (character-building stuff, as they say)
  • My ongoing love affair with La Femme Fatale, as highlighted in an earlier post....  (pure, unadulterated sexuality)
Mix these reasons together and you have my approach to crime writing - hard-boiled, sexy and peppered with a little social commentary, aimed at exposing our propensity for double standards and turning a blind eye to the less than palatable truths that surround us.

I've attempted to write from both the criminal and police side of the equation in an effort to understand where my favourite spot on the proverbial tarmac is, and I've come to the conclusion that I'm comfortable anywhere there's something underhand taking place with a suggestion of seduction and deceit.... the question is, what does that say about me?

I found another nice link that provides a gallery of Noir Fiction cover art... check it out for yourselves...

No comments:

Post a Comment