Friday, April 8, 2011

Future Noir?

I like the old stuff. I write the modern stuff - but what is 'Future Noir'? Well, take a dash of Dashiel, a bucket of Bruen, an egg-cup of Ellroy a shot of Vachss and a snifter of the Jetsons and you get creepily close. Blade Runner is modern popular 'Future Noir' at its best - as far as I'm aware.... but you try Googling Future Noir and see what turns up....

A wonderful mixture of rather risque femme fatale types, some Judge Dredd wannabes, Harrison Ford and that's more or less it.

Somewhat surprising from my perspective.

Where is the future of Future Noir? Who is the king or queen of this genre?
I'm looking for Sam Spade with a laser zip gun, electric knuckle dusters and a nuclear-powered car-trans whatzit that makes a cool sound as it glides through the city's ripped backside....

I suppose William Gibson fits the picture perfectly. I've read his Neuromancer and enjoyed it throughly, but I must have missed an entire sub-genre in this area... I'll have to do some more investigating... nothing like new things (even if they're old) to cheer one up...

But in the meantime some latex and superheros will have to suffice...

No comments:

Post a Comment